Animals

The 7 Most Haunted Places In Virginia

Introduction

Many people love a good scare, whether it’s Halloween or another time of year. Virginia has many ghost stories to share because of its history as a colony, its clashes with Native American tribes, and its involvement in the American Civil War. Continue reading as we investigate some of Virginia’s most haunted places.

Bacon’s Castle (The Arthur Allen House)

Although it’s not a real castle, Bacon’s Castle is the oldest brick home in North America. In 1655, Arthur Allen managed the building of his house. During Bacon’s Rebellion in 1676, men under Nathaniel Bacon’s leadership took control of it. The colonists turned to guns against the governor because they were upset that he would not force the Native Americans out of the colony. Thousands of troops were led by Nathaniel Bacon to take Jamestown by storm and remove the governor. The British army needed years to put an end to the rebellion.

There have apparently been numerous documented cases of paranormal activity at the castle, including persons being touched or drawn and unexplained fireballs. Screams have been recorded by paranormal investigators during the night, and some have even claimed to have seen the head of a young African-American woman floating away.

Maintenance Owned and run by Virginia, Bacon’s Castle is open for regular excursions, including year-round ghost history tours.

Boxwood Inn

In 1896, Simon Reid Curtis constructed Boxwood Inn. In Lee Hall Village, it is the lone 19th-century home still standing. Among the many celebrities who stayed with the family were W.C. Fields and World War I General John Pershing. Although Reid intended for it to be a private home, the neighborhood eventually utilized it as a general shop and post office.

There have been reports of mild and apparently innocuous hauntings in the house, including knocking, shifting objects, and the appearance of an elderly man walking with a cane. The original owner’s wife, Nannie Curtis, is the most well-known of these apparitions. Mrs. Lucas claimed that she was given little things she requested when the Lucas family bought the house in 1995 and started remodeling. When she thought she needed a nail file, one arrived, and she even tried this by hoping for $100. She claimed that a pawn shop offered her $100 for a gold tooth that she discovered right away.

No longer available for tours, the Boxwood Inn is now a venue for events, holding dinners, weddings, and parties. That is, however, available if you want to have a roaring good time at your gatherings.

Cold Harbor Battlefield

There are undoubtedly dozens of ghost stories about the American Civil War, many of them concentrated around the locations of major engagements. Richmond, Virginia’s Cold Harbor Battlefield is home to a number of interesting tales. Confederate forces emerged victorious on the battle, with over 12,000 Union losses and roughly 4,000 Confederate men lost.

Given its history of conflict, suffering, and agony, the battlefield is a favorite haunt for paranormal seekers. There are rumors that people have heard the noises of ongoing fights in the distance. There have been reports from others that ghosts prowl the former battle lines. The fog that is supposed to occasionally descend fast upon the battlefield adds to the unsettling atmosphere. It vanishes at the same instant. There are additional reports of a little girl’s spirit haunting a nearby house and graveyard.

The National Park Service features a webpage devoted to an independent exploration of the battleground. The battlefield is covered with miles of hiking trails. However, the park shuts at dusk.

The Exchange Hotel

Constructed in 1860, shortly before the Civil War, the Exchange Hotel served as a lodging for guests coming from the local railroad crossing. Its intended use was abandoned at the start of the war, and it was reconfigured to operate as a wartime hospital. The hotel grounds saw the interment of over 300 casualties, and by the end of the war, over 70,000 injured soldiers from both sides of the fight had passed through the location.

The suffering of the warriors from that massive battle has been the subject of reported supernatural encounters at this place. Here, people have reported seeing light columns and glowing orbs in paranormal experiences. Reports of apparitions have also surfaced, including images of black-clad nurses from the Civil War era seen floating through the rooms. There are frequent reports of seeing “Anna,” an African-American woman, walking from the summer kitchen to the main building. There have been rumors that she is the specter of a domestic chef who worked for the first hotel owner’s second wife.

The Exchange’s owners have welcomed the hotel’s eerie past and provide rates for both their own sporadic Friday night tours and overnight paranormal investigations.

Ferry Plantation House

The location of the Ferry Plantation was once home to a nearby ferry. The Walke family was the owner of it. Two years after a portion of the plantation house burned down in 1828, it was rebuilt using bricks that had not been harmed by the fire. It was constructed for Charles Fleming MacIntosh, the family’s seventeen-year-old son, who would subsequently enlist in the Confederate Navy.

Up to eleven spirits are said to haunt the estate, according to paranormal investigators. One of the ghosts is a male who frequently makes appearances and is generally communicative. In addition, there’s a spirit connected to a nearby shipwreck, a former slave, and a Lady in White who perished after falling down the manor stairs. The most intriguing could be the specter of Grace Sherwood, aka the Witch of Pungo. She was among the few individuals found guilty of witchcraft in Virginia. The location of the trial was close to Ferry Plantation. She was chained and thrown into the sea after choosing to be tried by water. After emerging from the water unharmed, she spent seven years in prison. She lived a long life after being freed, but it wasn’t until 2006 that she was cleared of all charges of witchcraft.

Currently open to visitors, the volunteer-run plantation is maintained. Through the plantation’s contact page, tours can be scheduled, and the organization welcomes paranormal investigations.

The Martha Washington Inn & Spa

Constructed in 1832, the Martha Washington Inn & Spa served as General Francis Preston’s retirement residence following the War of 1812. The Preston family lived there for many years with their nine kids. After it was sold in 1858, Martha Washington, the previous First Lady, inspired the college to become a women’s institution. Locals referred to Martha Washington College as “The Martha,” and it continued to function through the Civil War and the 1929 crash before closing its doors in 1932. Reopened as a hotel in 1935, it has played host to a number of well-known figures.

Its use as a battlefield hospital during the American Civil War is the source of many of its ghost legends. There were skirmishes between Union and Confederate forces in and around the town, and The Martha occasionally housed both armies’ hospitals. As a result, tales of ghosts from both the Union and the Confederacy have been circulated, along with ghosts of slaves and women’s college students.

Union Ghosts

Strange violin music has reportedly been heard throughout the inn; this could be connected to the tale of the Yankee Sweetheart. The story tells of Captain John Stoves, a Union officer, who was shot and captured. He was taken to a room and looked after by Beth, a college student. They quickly fell in love as she would comfort him with her violin playing. He asked her to play him a song while he was dying, but he passed away before she could. It is reported that her violin can still be heard playing for her lost love, even though she passed away from typhoid a few weeks later.

Confederate Ghosts

There is also a tale of a Confederate soldier who wished to bid farewell to his Washington College fiancée before departing and carried dispatches for General Lee. He used the tunnels that led beneath the campus and into the building to meet his sweetheart by going up a hidden staircase at the college. Regretfully, he was fatally shot by Union soldiers after they noticed him on the steps. The floor was tainted by his blood, which eventually resurfaces no matter how it is cleaned or covered.

St. Albans Sanatorium

In 1892, St. Albans was first constructed as a Lutheran Boys School. Before closing after 17 years of operation, there were rumors of teacher bullying and harassment during those final days. But its cruel history was not over, for it was reopened as a sanatorium not long after. The early 20th century saw the use of hydrotherapy, lobotomies, and shock therapy in the treatment of mental illness and incapacity. In addition, the hospital was dangerously overcrowded, and several patients are said to have committed suicide as a result of the cruel surroundings.

Even the most casual spectator may see the misery of the area since the remnants of its horrific past are still there, along with a breath of rot. St. Albans is regarded by paranormal investigators as one of the most spiritually active locations on the East Coast. Individuals have reported feeling eerie presences, seeing objects levitate, and hearing voices. There are also stories of a male employee’s ghost that prowls the lower levels and acts aggressively against female guests.

The sanitorium’s paranormal past has been welcomed by the current owners, who provide year-round tours. Even a Facebook group devoted to St. Albans’ spectral qualities exists.