Animals

The 6 Most Haunted Places In North Dakota

On the Atlantic Coast of the United States, hauntings may be nothing new, but there’s something very eerie about the desolate, windswept plains of the Dakotas. When the air is already frigid, it can be difficult to feel a cold draft. Some unusual locations have been discovered by paranormal enthusiasts. What are North Dakota’s most haunted locations, then? Let’s investigate.

Fort Abraham Lincoln Custer House

General George Armstrong Custer and his spouse constructed their home shortly after the construction of Fort Abraham Lincoln in 1874 or 1875. Their time together at that home was incredibly brief because Custer himself was slain in the Battle of Little Big Horn in 1876.

The majority of paranormal events that are reported include lights going on and off, flashes, cold spots, and voices. However, there have been other accounts of a female spectral apparition seen wearing a black mourning outfit. This is probably Libby, the wife of General Custer, wandering the grounds.

The house is in Abraham Lincoln State Park, thus it isn’t specifically designed to house paranormal investigators, but the park hosts a public “Haunted Fort” event each October. If not, you can take an annual tour of the grounds to see whether the claims are true.

Contact Information Address: 4480 Ft. Lincoln Road, Mandan, ND 58554 Phone: 701-667-6340

North Dakota State University

Originally established in 1890 as a state land-grant research institution, North Dakota Agricultural College became North Dakota State University. In 1960, North Dakota State University replaced its previous name. Since there have been so many students over the years, there will inevitably be painful and emotional experiences, whether they occur in the lives of the students themselves or as a result of campus events (like the 1957 F5 tornado that tore through the campus). People tend to think that these kinds of experiences are what lead to paranormal activities.

Originally intended to be a women’s dorm, Ceres Hall was to be named for Jessie Slaughter, the college’s first female student. Officials decided it would be best to name the women’s dormitory after the Goddess of Wheat after weighing the ramifications of referring to it as the “Slaughter House.”

It appears that Ceres Hall’s peculiar paranormal past began during World War II, when a man hanged himself from third-floor heating pipes. There has reportedly been some movement there, but reports of the basement have indicated strong emotions of fear and dread that cause the fight-or-flight response.

Once known as Science Hall, Minard Hall is said to have been the scene of a double murder in the 1920s when a janitor discovered two dead when they went into the dance hall on the fourth floor early in the morning. The room was shuttered after the murder went unsolved, reopened as a zoology lab, and finally closed because of decaying floors.

Naturally, you cannot tour a university, but if you are enrolled in classes in one of these facilities, remain alert for any unexpected events.

Contact Information Address: 1301 Administration Ave, Fargo, ND 58105 Phone: 701-231-7981

The Old Armory in Williston

Since its establishment in 1916, Williston’s Old Armory has been a mainstay of the town. Door-to-door canvassing was the first step in the National Guard unit’s local fundraising effort for the building. It was also used as a community auditorium following its completion until the high school’s building in 1931. It served as a canteen for teenagers during World War II. In addition, it served as a venue for neighborhood gatherings like graduations, car fairs, political rallies, dances, and touring theater companies. It closed its armory in 1957 to make room for a new one, and from 1983 until now it served as a community recreation center.

There is a hint of theater mixed with military in the purported ghostly activity surrounding the arsenal. Mannequins in the armory have reportedly been seen wandering around on their own. In the armory, there have also been tales of a ghostly soldier watching a stairwell and murmuring voices.

The Old Armory is now home to a community theater. Tickets for a performance can be bought on the Entertainment Inc. website.

Contact Information Address: 320 1st Ave E., Williston, ND 58801 Phone: 701-577-3179

St. Joseph’s Hospital Dickinson, North Dakota

Founded in 1912 and constructed in 1911, St. Joseph’s Hospital had a difficult beginning. Even after the hospital was finished in 1911, the Diocese lacked any employees. The local bishop begged Sisters from a Swiss order to come and take up the mission in 1912 when she was visiting Rome. When the Six Sisters came later that year, the structure was still unfinished and had neither electricity nor medical supplies. The Sisters were only paid $8.00 a month at that stage. A few years later, the hospital and its debt were given to the Sisters by the Bismarck Diocese. They managed to make it function over time, and in 1931, 1951, 1966, 1983, and 2000, the building underwent extensions. The old building was closed in 2014 and replaced with a new one.

Employees reported hearing footsteps racing through the basement and voices in the cafeteria before the hospital closed. Unoccupied rooms have been observed to make calls to the nursing station. It appears that the morgue’s elevator has also been operating on its own!

The hospital is now home to an annual haunted house attraction, so seeing spooky apparitions there doesn’t require much imagination these days.

Contact Information Address: 30 7th St W, Dickinson, ND 58601

San Haven Sanitorium

In 1909, a law was passed creating San Haven Sanitorium to provide medical care for tuberculosis patients. It was determined that it would be constructed on the south slope, close to the Turtle Mountains, in the hopes that the patients’ recuperation would be aided by the higher elevation and dryer air. The building was completed and opened in 1912. In 1957, a facility underwent renovations to accommodate senior citizens and individuals with disabilities. Individuals with developmental disabilities were included in the 1960s. At this period, general and local hospitals handled tuberculosis patients, with an emphasis on the elderly and the disabled. The facility closed in 1987 after lawsuits on behalf of people with developmental problems were filed by the 1980s.

Of course, things weren’t perfect during those years, particularly the later ones. In the hospital’s existence, up to 1,000 people have passed away. An adolescent kid died in one of the elevator shafts even after the sanitarium closed.

There have been reports of scary, black shadows, floating orbs, and apparitions prowling the halls. There have been reports from some claiming they heard baby crying on the premises. There have been reports of faces looking out the windows.

The Turtle Mountain Band purchased the sanitarium when it closed. They intend to demolish it.

The Totten Trail Historic Inn

The Fort Totten State Historic Site in Fort Totten, North Dakota is home to the Totten Trail Historic Inn. The military outpost’s command center, the fort, was responsible for keeping an eye on the mail and nearby transit routes. Its main duty was to keep an eye on the Sioux Indians living on the neighboring reservation. It became an Indian boarding school in 1890, ending its military operations, and it ran that way until 1960. The only period it was closed was from 1935 to 1940, when it served as a tuberculosis prevention center. The building where the inn is located was once home to officers and their families.

It is said that a man and a woman died at some point prior to the building’s renovation. It is thought that the shadowy figures that guests have reported seeing following them around the inn are the man and woman returning to the location in order to escape being forgotten.

Reservations can be made here if you’d want to see a glimpse of ordinary living in the late 19th century along with the potential for a paranormal encounter.