Essay

24 Countries Where Arabic Is the Official Language

There are many different languages and cultures in our vast globe. For instance, Spanish is the primary language of communication in more than 20 Latin American nations. The largest nation in South America, Brazil, is one of the few places where Portuguese is the primary language spoken. There are official languages in several of these nations. There isn’t an official language in the US. But there are in others as well. There are numerous Arab nations where Arabic has been declared either the official or co-official language.

Now let’s examine the 24 nations where Arabic will be the official language in 2024. Arabic is recognized as the official language of the majority, the official language of the minority, or the co-official language of the majority or minority in these nations. That makes 417 million people who speak Arabic.

1. Algeria

North Africa is home to Algeria. The majority ethnic group in the nation is Arab, making up around 80% of the population, while the remaining 20% is made up of Berbers. Out of all the people, 99% identify as Sunni Muslims.

2. Bahrain

Bahrain is a Middle Eastern country. The population of the nation is made up of 53% Arabs, 43% Asians, and 4% people from other countries. Approximately 12% of people follow Christianity, and 80% of people observe Islam.

3. Chad

Africa’s north central region is home to Chad. There are 26 percent Sara and 13 percent Arab ethnic groups in the nation; the remaining ethnic groupings are diverse. Regarding religion, 41% of people are Christians and 55% of people are Muslims.

4. Comoros

Comoros is an island republic of many ethnic groups, including Comorians and others, off the coast of southern Africa in the Indian Ocean. The Arabic meaning of the name Comoros is “moon.”

5. Djibouti

You can find Djibouti in Eastern Africa. Somalis constitute nearly 60% of the population in this multiethnic country, followed by Afarians (35%), and Arabs (5%). In Djibouti, the majority is Muslim (about 94%), with 6% of Christians.

6. Egypt

Egypt, one of the biggest nations in the Middle East and on the continent, is situated in North Africa. Egypt was founded in 3150 B.C., making it one of the oldest nations on Earth.

7. Iraq

The Middle East is where Iraq is situated. The nation is home to a number of ethnic groups, including Kurds and Arabs. In 1932, the nation proclaimed its independence from the United Kingdom, and in 1958, it became a republic. Since 2005, the present constitution has been in effect.

8. Jordan

Jordan, a country in the Middle East, is home to a diverse population that includes Arabs, Circassians, Chechens, and Armenians. About 95% of people identify as Sunni Muslims, and 3% identify as Christians.

9. Kuwait

Kuwait is a small Middle Eastern nation with a very diversified population, comprising, among others, Arab expats, Asians, Africans, and Kuwaiti Arabs. The population is made up of 17% Christians and about 76% Muslims.

10. Lebanon

Situated in the Middle East, the population comprises over 95% Arabs and 4% Armenians. Although Lebanon was proclaimed a nation in 1516, the French seized control of those territories, and they have been free of French rule since 1943.

11. Libya

Libya is a country in North Africa where 92% of the population is Arab and 5% is Berber. The majority of people—more than 99%—practice Islam. In 1947, Libya proclaimed its independence from Italy. In addition, since 2011, Libya has seen a number of battles, the most recent of which ended with the Second Libyan Civil War in 2020.

12. Mali

Situated in the Sahara Desert in North Africa, Mali is a country rich in diversity. Bambara make up about one-third of the population, with other ethnic groups making up the other two thirds. The majority of people in Mali are Muslims—roughly 95%.

13. Mauritania

Several national languages, such as Pulaar, Soninke, and Wolof, are recognized in Mauritania in addition to Arabic, which is the official language of the country. The population is made up of about 40% Haratin, 30% Arab-Berber, and 30% each of Halpulaar, Fulani, Mande, and Wolof.

14. Morocco

Other spoken languages include Moroccan Arabic, Hassaniya Arabic, many Berber languages, and French in addition to Arabic and Berber. The population of Morocco, which is in Northern Africa, is made up of 2% Sahrawis, 31% Berbers, and 67% Arbs.

15. Oman

Over 88% of people in this Middle Eastern country identify as Muslims, 5% as Hindus, and 3% as Christians. One of the world’s oldest nations is Oman. In addition, the capital of the nation is called Muscat.

16. Palestine

Despite Palestine’s 1988 declaration of independence, Israel presently occupies the whole country. Palestine has gained recognition as an independent country from 139 UN members.

17. Qatar

The population of Qatar, a country in the Middle East, is made up of 40% Arabs, 36% South Asians, 9% Egyptians, and other ethnic groups. Moreover, the population is composed of more than 65% Muslims, 15% Hindus, and 14% Christians.

18. Saudi Arabia

The nation, which is 90% Arab and 93% Muslim, is situated in the Middle East.Among the world’s oldest nations is Saudi Arabia. It is also among the world’s richest nations in terms of oil.

19. Somalia

In Somalia, there are 15% members of other ethnic groups and 85% Somalis. Sunni Islam is its recognized religion. In the 1880s, Somalia—which was ruled by both Italy and the United Kingdom—announced its independence.

20. Sudan

Sudan is an African country where roughly 70% of the population is Arab, and the remaining 30% is made up of various ethnic groups. Also, 97% of Muslims are Sunnis. Moreover, Sudan is among the world’s oldest nations.

21. Syria

Syria is a Middle Eastern country with 75% Arabs, 10% Kurds, and 15% other ethnic groups living there. Less than 3% of people are Druze, 10% are Christians, and 87% of people are Muslims.

22. Tunisia

Tunisia is a country in North Africa where 98% of the population is Arab. Furthermore, 99% of people are Sunni Muslims. Among the world’s oldest nations is Tunisia. In addition, it was a kingdom until 1956, at which point it changed to a republic in 1957.

23. United Arab Emirates

Constituted of around 60% South Asians, 11% Emirati Arabs, 10% Egyptians, 6% Filipinos, and 12% various ethnic groupings, the United Arab Emirates is a Middle Eastern country. Muslims make up 76% of the population in terms of religion.

24. Yemen

Yemen, a country on the Arabian Peninsula, is home to 92% Arabs, 3% Somalis, and other ethnic groups. The majority of people—more than 99%—practice Islam. In addition, Yemen has been experiencing a civil war since 2014.